Monday, 30 December 2013

The Day After Tomorrow

Whilst I'm once again participating in both FootIT and the national Patch Challenge next year, I've decided on the spur of the moment to give myself a little 10km challenge as well. Centred on home the map below shows a 10km radius which is about as far, realistically as I can walk there and back and gives me enough habitat variety not to get bored. With sites from mature broad-leaved woodland such as Beacon Hill and the Wansbeck river corridor, both the Blyth and Wansbeck estuaries, as well as some freshwater lakes and ponds such as QEII, Bothal Pond, Linton Pond, Cresswell Pond and crucially including Newbiggin too I'd like to think it provides ample variety and it will be interesting to see how many species I can achieve.

I've spent much of my birding time in some of these areas this year anyway, I'll add the Pegswood Centred 10km List onto Bubo in the New Year. In the meantime best wishes to all for 2014.


3 comments:

Ipin said...

It looks like it takes in the Budge fields but not the big pool at Druridge. I'll edit any news accordingly!

Steve Gale said...

Alan - are you up for a North v South 10k challenge? Mine (centred on my local park) would take in the downs, heathland, woods and sandpits... but no coast (that's 50 miles away). Reckon good for 125 species, maybe a few more. How about it?

Alan Tilmouth said...

Hi Steve, You're on mate, though I expect more than 125. I would disappointed if I didn't reach 180-185 and when I looked at the map I wondered if 200 were possible...