Saturday, 26 October 2013

Late and Lately

I've found this Autumn frustrating, perhaps my expectations were too high, perhaps I've just made the wrong decisions on the right days, who knows? After a run of Yellow-browed Warblers my chosen home produced little of note. By the time mid-October came around I started getting a little fed up and itchy feet and spent a few days nibbling at the edges of other folk's finds.

A day up on St. Abbs NNR at Mire Loch provided some brief but pleasant views of the adult male Sardinian Warbler with a supporting cast of 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, Mealy Redpoll and the arse end of a rapidly disappearing Red-breasted Flycatcher. The journey home gave me time to ponder and a stop at Beal Point was refreshing with Rock Pipit and Little Egret.

A few days later and the chance of a double header at Hartlepool with a Pallid Swift seen going to roost on St. Hilda's Church and nearby a Western Bonelli's Warbler saw me beg a couple of hours from a colleague and do an early morning hit and run on both species. I may have stayed longer if I'd known what was to unfold.


I've already posted images of the Sibe Stonechat but along with ADMc was back for seconds the following day after we tried and failed to connect with Stringer's Rough-legged Buzzard. Some consolation was had in the desert dunes of the Long Nanny with a single flushed Richard's Pipit.

So after a patch break I finished up a shift today and opted for a quick late afternoon visit. A circuit around the Spital end was fruitless with a single female-type Blackcap the only bird of note.
With good light I settled for a half hour at Church Point, a single adult Med Gull came south amongst a steady passage of Herring Gulls. Just south of the point a juvenile Great Crested Grebe became species 146 at Newbiggin/Woodhorn this year. Eight Purple Sandpipers fed on the rocks to the north.

Tomorrow is my first Sunday without the either of the boys having a football match and with the hour going back and providing some extra light, hopefully a few hours may turn something up.

No comments: