Friday, 16 August 2013

White-winged Black Tern - Bothal Pond

Having worked over Saturday and Sunday last weekend I had been reporting on the East Chevington juvenile White-winged Black Tern without any expectation of seeing it. Post-work I blagged an hour from the wife and headed to look at the sea hoping for a first Sooty of the year. After an hour with zero shearwaters of any description i cut my losses and headed for the gull roost in the Ash Lagoons.

I was there scanning through the assembled c.150 Golden plovers for something more interesting when I got a text from Steve Holliday to inform me that the WeBS counter at Bothal Pond had been watching the juvenile White-winged Black tern up until 17:00. I decided to call in on the way home, a road accident diverted me via Ellington but I was pleasantly suprised to reach a Bothal Pond with no birders but the aforementioned tern parading around the south end.

Persuading the wife to jump in the car with my camera, I hung about watching it and up to seven Ruff and a Greenshank till the camera bag was dropped off. I managed a couple of record shots before the group of Greylags that had been at the west end decided to head east into the area the tern was feeding. It promptly disappeared, sadly just five minutes before photographer Frank Golding arrived.




No comments: