Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Sublime to Ridiculous?

After Monday's 'perfect twitch' of the sublime Bridled Tern the last two mornings have been back to graft on the patch and one or two other local watering holes. I took a little light-hearted stick from a few ex-birders on Twitter including the Howick moth-fiddler when I happened to mention I'd found a Giant Canada Goose (or at least an individual showing characteristics of one) amongst the feral moult migrants at Castle Island. Whilst it won't make any list anytime soon (or is it a UK400 split?) it filled in half an hour whilst not seeing much in the way of passage waders (see Notebook page for my daily returns).



As things have been a little quiet, I set about resurrecting my original DIY moth trap on Sunday and after a couple of hours in the garage emerged with a MkII version that looked the part. Out on Sunday night and come 04:45 Monday I had the huge total of 14 moths, pick of the bunch and new for the garden was this slightly tatty Clouded Buff last recorded in Northumberland at Kielder in 2009 (via northumberland moths). Sweet.





1 comment:

Stewart said...

Clouded Buff! Thats a superb lowland record Alan and knocks that bloody farm goose up a height. I have caught CB in Scotland but never imagined one here...