Friday, 7 June 2013

Starting Summer

Having had a fairly quiet period I planned to do some birding this morning, I was looking forward to getting out after a double-shift yesterday. Arriving at school we began to notice that all the other kids were in 'non-uniform' and it began to dawn on me that I really should start reading the newsletter emails more thoroughly. So forgetting non-uniform day cost me an hour as my conscience forced me to drive home, ransack the kids wardrobes and head back to school to confess my guilt to the office and put smiles back on the kid's faces.

Having thumped the patch for little reward for weeks I opted for a change of scene and decided to head to the Wansbeck and walk a couple of miles to the coast. As expected it was generally quiet, 48 species recorded, the pick of the outward journey being a single Little Ringed Plover. The estuary held 2 Common Terns and a female Eider. A drake Eider was just off the estuary on the open sea.

Feeding on the edge of the incoming tide was a single summer-plumaged Sanderling perhaps my last for this Spring. I watched it for a while, trying to keep up with it with the Meopix ( see pic and video) in the brisk east breeze with Sand Martins from the small colony nearby darting past now and again.

The return walk was faster, I stopped less but I was surprised to find 5 Barnacle Geese had dropped in at Castle Island. Presumably naturalized birds, perhaps dragged north with some of the Canada Geese that have been moving along the coast in recent days on moult migration. Checking my notes later I find that I didn't hear a single Willow Warbler singing in the 2-3 hours I was walking.

No comments: