Monday, 13 May 2013

Grasshopper Warbler

They're not rare, though I managed to go the whole of 2012 without seeing or hearing one in Northumberland, but they can be hugely frustrating. I'm sure I'm not alone in having spent many unsuccessful hours listening to reeling birds without catching even the faintest glimpse of the bird itself.

This year is turning out to be a reasonable year for 'groppers' around Newbiggin, I've now had three individuals that have ranged from brief glimpses of a rodent-like non-singing individual in thick grass and low bramble in April, through a reeling individual on the Ash Lagoons that I simply failed to locate visually a few days ago to a showy individual this morning east of the pools that offered good views from a few metres away as it reeled mid-morning.

Grasshopper Warbler (Iphone/Meopix & Meopta S2 scope)

No comments: