Thursday, 3 January 2013

First Fifty on Foot

Having joined with many others in the 'Foot-It' January Challenge, a friendly on-foot from home 'patch' birding' challenge for the first month of the year my New Year birding has been low key. Working on New Year's Day I amassed 21 species from the desk with a Common Buzzard the highlight. A further four that evening including a flyover Cormorant Pegswood CP rounded the day off at 25.
Yesterday a brief foray with the dog added four more common species around the village so I set out this morning for the first real serious attempt towards the 65 species target I set myself on entering. A warm morning started well with three flyover 'ticks' including 25-30 Pink-feet not one of the species that I had included in my target. Six Grey Partridge in fields just beyond the village were in the T65 but can be tricky so getting them early was a positive.
Bothal village added a further five new species including a singing Mistle Thrush and a pleasant surprise with a Grey Wagtail back 'on territory' at the stepping stones below the village.
Two Redwings flew west as I topped the bank on the way to Bothal Pond. The pond itself produced no surprises though I was pleased a Redshank was still in residence, making up for the current absence of both Pochard and Gadwall.
A Great Spotted Woodpecker at the rookery at Coopers Kennels and a couple of Curlew in the fields added further ticks, a grand total of 21 new for the year bringing up fifty on foot in three days.

2 comments:

Stewart said...

I havent entered the FootIt Alan, even though I do it every year. My biggest total for Jan is about 85, I'm on 52 so far with only one casual day in the field. This week will see an improvement.

Alan Tilmouth said...

If I'd had a coastal patch I reckon I would have been targeting around 80, waders and common seabirds add another easy 15.