Saturday, 17 November 2012

More Tales From The Nanny

Wednesday found me stood in the garden drinking tea contemplating all the garden jobs I should have started when I heard a familiar trill - only three this time they flicked around the hedge at the front garden for a few minutes before departing.

I'll leave Thursday for another post as I was out testing the Meopix Iphone Adaptor and I need a full post to review it.

Friday was looking like another fine day though it started badly as a result of Children in Need and Pyjamas but by mid-morning I was back up at the Long Nanny for another yomping session to look for the Bradshaw/Steele juvenile Long-billed Dowitcher. This time it was easy, peezy lemon squeezy, on the southern bend of the burn, hung out chatting with a couple of Common Snipe. Even the dog seemed quite impressed as he sat beside the tripod staring across at the dowitcher for ages.



Other stuff at the Nanny included a Short-eared Owl, a single Snow Bunting and 15-20 Twite.  Post-dowitcher I headed north for a bite to eat in Seahouses then a quick look off Stag Rocks, a dozen or so Long-tailed Ducks were resplendent offshore and a Puffin was, unseasonal.

The rest of the afternoon was spent in the hide at Fenham-le-Moor wading through Wigeon in the forlon hope of a yank. Good numbers of Grey Plover, a smattering of Pintail and the usual Pale-bellied Brents provided plenty to view. The journey home a rollercoaster of emotion with a flyover Merlin the high point and a road casualty Barn Owl the low.

No comments: