Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Dun na Ngall

Amazing views, huge amount of habitat, especially for waders, traffic-free roads and I didn't see another birder in three days. In a sentence just about sums up my weekend. Having said that I didn't find anything really out of the ordinary, a few Mediterranean Gulls which I'm reliably informed are still fairly scarce in that part of the world, a couple of Black-throated Divers (which are reasonably scarce at home) and a single Slavonian Grebe (on Inch Island Lake so off the sea) the highlights, though that doesn't really tell the whole story of a thoroughly enjoyable three days.

Perhaps I was a little late for the yank waders that I'm convinced must turn up with greater regularity than current records suggest as there is just a huge amount of inter-tidal mud and I probably only scraped the surface; sites such as Dunfanaghy, Carrickgart, Dunbeg, Ballyness Bay have form and it isn't hard to see why. Observer coverage is scant to non-existant, if you enjoy your birding quiet then Donegal is the place to go, I didn't set eyes on another birder in 3 days birding, in fact between 07:00 and 19:00 Saturday and Sunday I didn't speak to another living soul unless you count the check-out girl at Spar as I stocked up on Dairy Milk.

Dunfanaghy

Stunning scenery abounds, no shortage of sites to visit and little by way of hides or 'structured birding' just big bays, huge cliffs and wall to wall sunshine. Other enjoyable sightings included Little Egrets at two sites, several Ravens, west coast  Meadow Pipits with the beautiful cinnamon-toned underparts, hods of common waders to work through looking for yanks, a few Scaup and close encounters with Ravens. Let's face it any time you get to spend with calling Ravens is time well spent.

 Carrickgart

Resisting the temptation to de-camp to Galway after the arrival of a drab yankee kingbird and a gaudy kingfisher I stuck to the task in hand though the sheer beauty of the place got to me and I found myself a few times just sat gazing at the views, not really caring if I wasn't turning up the monster rare.

 Looking from Melmore across to the Fanad penisular

Always next time.....

2 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

Wondered where you'd got to Alan.

Birding aside, one word springs to mind.... idyllic.

Stewart said...

Aye Dairy Milk is a beautiful thing indeed...