Monday, 10 September 2012

10/09

Back to Warkworth Gut & Amble Braid again today to look for waders on the rising tide. Single Black-tailed Godwit and Greenshank still on the scrapes and only one Little Egret on show from the little group that had built up in recent weeks.

Overhead hundreds of Swallows moving south today, at least several hundred per hour throughout the morning. A strong passage of Meadow Pipits too though nothing like the Swallow numbers. On the ground the frequent showers were dropping birds in, best of the bunch was a juvenile Whinchat amongst four Stonechats (though I doubt the latter have come far). A Common Whitethroat was in some dune scrub and several Chiffchaffs fed in nearby gorse.

One or two of the showers were pretty heavy and I took a bit of a hammering on the water front, I might have been less wet if I'd waited them out in the sea.

With an extra hour available this week I decided to call into the north end of Hadston Carrs and walked to the Ponteland Hide. I took the back road through Amble to take a quick look around the dunes north of Hauxley. A small flock of Pied Wagtails, 16 in total fed on the grass just south of Amble. I stopped and diligently went through them one by one muttering , 'pied, pied,pied,pied,....' 16 times as I went. At the Ponteland Hide nine Little Grebes appeared to be a family party as they dived amongst weed close to the hide and five Dunlins were the only waders. With the tide now in I checked the north end of the beach, stacked with seaweed there were a few birds feeding, a couple of Rock Pipits and a couple of Pied Wagtails. My reward for diligence came with what looks like an adult female White Wagtail feeding in the same area as the Pieds. Crap shots as I was phonescoping but enough to get the gist I think.



  The road home allowed for a couple of roadside pull-ins, the long-staying Long-tailed Duck on Cresswell Pond and a quick sort through the decent Dunlin numbers at Lynemouth Flash for something more exciting.

Total Distance: 4.22 miles
Calories: 547


No comments: