Thursday, 5 July 2012

Birding Parkour

Birding, most genteel and non-physical of hobbies, it's hardly going to be an Olympic sport any time soon is it? So this afternoon I tried a little experiment which turned out pretty much as I should have predicted had I given it more than a moment's thought.

For anyone unfamiliar with Parkour check out the explanation here or for a more graphic explanation skip straight to this. Back in the day I used to be quite good at this sort thing, of course way back then it was an urban phenomenon referred to as 'legging it' rather than the fancy name it has now been given.

So faced with a few inches of water and some boot-sucking mud at Druridge Pools this afternoon, I limbered up and took a quick run at the baffle bank with scope, tripod and dog tucked under arm. Not wishing to overdo things I stuck to the basics and did a straightforward  leap back to the boardwalk. At this point I believe I was shot by an unknown assailant as I tumbled head first across the boardwalk spilling the dog and tripod before plunging head first into the water-filled ditch at the other side.

Somehow I not only managed to rip my calf muscle in half (the crutches arrive tomorrow) I also managed to snap the head on the Manfrotto in half. On the plus side the dog survived and the old couple who had waited to see how I got on turned back avoiding any injuries to themselves in the process. It took me 30 minutes to hop the 150m back to the car, it will take me a good while to pay the credit card bill for the replacement tripod though hopefully my damaged ego may not take quite as long to repair.

Anyone any tripod recommendations feel free, sarcasm on the other hand will be consigned to the bin....

6 comments:

Ipin said...

I hope you didn't disturb any great-crested newts when you landed head-first in the ditch!

Codders said...

My sympathies go out to you but on the other hand a chance to improve your Garden List or start a new one
OCFH. As for a tripod I have a single crutch left from a similarish accident (I wasnt carrying a dog though) and you could combine it with your 2 and you have a start with 3 legs.

John

Wanstead Birder said...

Are there photos?

Stringer said...

FECKIN OUCH !! I totally sympathise with your situation, see the link below from a while ago....

http://newtonstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/hop-along.html

Took me 5 weeks till I could walk (= hobble) back out on the patch again and about 2 months+ before I was walking normally without a limp.

On the plus side it is amazing how quickly muscle damage can repair, seems like a long time when you are stuck on the sofa, but really a few weeks for such a bad injury is a miracle.... regular physiotherapy and doing the exercises are important.

Reckon you should be out birding again for mid August !

Stewart said...

You could have sold tickets for that!

Northumbrian Birding said...

A pair of wellies would have been cheaper !!!!!
Brian