Sunday, 22 April 2012

Second Bite of the Cherry

Yesterday evening, circumstances conspired to offer me a second bite of the birding cherry for the day. Under plumbeous grey skies I headed north to a deserted East Chevington. From a decidedly damp underfoot bank the north pool produced 2 Common Terns that were new for the year, 4 Great Crested Grebes, 11 Goldeneyes and what I took to be the same Black-tailed Godwit as I'd spied at Druridge Pools earlier in the day. A single Short-eared Owl skirted the edges, occasionally dropping onto a fencepost, giving me the chance to test the reach of the phone/scope combination once again; this one was at c.300m I reckon.


Behind me a male Wheatear along another fence-line and a male Stonechat on phragmites in the channel.
The south pool was inundated with hirundines c.100 Sand Martins and c.30 Swallows jostling for position. A Sparrowhawk flew south nearby.

Back to Bothal Pond, via Lynemouth Flash where a flock of 28 Linnets were the giddy avian highlight, and a scan around the muddy edges revealed a single Little Ringed Plover whilst in the horse paddocks to the south another Wheatear had been grounded by the showers and was adorning yet another fence post in the distance.

No comments: