Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Since I last Blogged...

The kids and I had a morning out on Monday, duck-feeding at Druridge Bay Country Park, Little Grebe, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll and Coal Tit were all duly noted as new birds for the year. On the road home the small flock of 50-60 Twite were visible just north of Hemscott Hill and two Mistle Thrush were on wires south of Cresswell.

I got itchy feet around 23:30 so jumped in the car for some owl-hunting; a Barn Owl topped a fencepost in the corner of Pegswood CP and a Tawny Owl behaved in the headlights for a while not far away.

This morning we picked up 7 European White-fronted Geese and a Pink-footed Goose in a field just south of Longhirst Golf Course, I had no optics the first time and to be honest I thought one looked very dark-bellied and orange-billed but back with a scope they were all Euros. The horse field on the north side of the road held a small flock of Fieldfare the first I've seen this year.

3 comments:

Stevie Evans said...

Nice owl double -
(used to love it when the bairn wouldnt sleep.... driving round the country lanes in the middle of the night with the full beam on always seemed to get him off to sleep ;-)

alan tilmouth said...

Yes I was quite pleased, have now had all 5 within 1 mile from home.

Stewart said...

Yes we had all 5 at Stobswood too, within a 1 km sq. Nice.