Friday, 19 August 2011

Fair Days

They tried to make me go to birdfair, I said no,no,no
Yes I know the crack, autumn's almost back you know, know,know
I ain't got the time with autumn scarce to find
they tried to make me go to birdfair I said no,no,no

A few hours out yesterday and today with the distinct hint of autumn in the air. Yesterday's visit to Newbiggin produced little of note, ADMc had a couple of flyover Yellow Wagtails and we passed the time watching Whitethroats in the Ash Lagoon scrub. Later I called into Castle Island, the Kingfisher from earlier in the month is still around as it flew inland just below my vantage; two Ruff the only other birds of note.
After leaving ADMc and before Castle Island I spent a little time in Newbiggin's south bay with an impressive number of Kittiwakes (over 500) and Mediterranean Gulls (23) in nice light.

This morning a quick glance at the birdguides news app showed a Barred Warbler on the Isle of May. Enthused by this I headed back to Newbiggin; I'd just picked up a Wheatear on the golf course edge when a text came through from Paul Massey - Barred Warbler in the scrub on the Ash Lagoons. I headed up there, though I needn't have hurried as it was to be an hour and half before the juvenile Barred re-appeared and finally gave itself up to decent views gorging on Blackberries. You just know there's a record shot coming so squeamish photographers who prefer perfection look away now.



A last stop at Bothal Pond on the way home produced the now familiar Little Egret, another Green Sandpiper and a Peregrine that rubbed almost every bird on the pond up the wrong way.

1 comment:

Stringer said...

Top bird Alan, love those big clumsy warblers crashing through the brambles !