Monday, 27 June 2011

Out As Dinner

Kind of feeling a little unmotivated on the blog front at the moment. I'm not a big fan of the heat, with the extra weight I've acquired over the years I feel sluggish when it gets hot and reminded that I need to exert more self-discipline when it comes to chocolate products.

Last night I allowed myself to become dinner for a small selection of the region's flying insects courtesy of some dusk birding. Whilst I spent most of the time looking like I had some sort of affliction causing me to wave my arms around my head frenetically at intervals of 3-5 seconds, I did manage to get some birding in. A roding Woodock three times overhead or 3 roding Woodcock, two reeling Grasshopper Warblers and (fanfare) a magic encounter with target bird when a Nightjar dropped onto the forest track in front of me and allowed approach to about 20m. I was able to watch for around 2-3 minutes as it flicked up from the track and dropped back down 5-6 times, each time rendering itself invisible as it rose above the pale yellow track.

One of the pleasing aspects of last night's little excursion was that this was the first record for this area in the last six years (possibly only the second ever) and all three species were new for the tetrad in the current Atlas.

No comments: