Thursday, 19 May 2011

You Win Some...

After last night's late-ish report of a Red-throated Pipit at Hauxley, I thought it was worth a punt despite the weather having been less than conducive to arrivals of anything like RtP. Luckily I'm not cynical enough yet to prevent me from getting off my arse and going to have a look for these things, if even one out of twenty proves accurate then occasionally I'll get to see a damn nice bird. Having said that with an overnight clear sky, days of westerlies and a bird reported in the early evening the night before I wasn't anticipating too much joy.
That last part was right, the only pipits present in the general area were Meadow Pipits, though the early morning sun, flat calm sea and complete absence of any other people at all (it was 05:30) was reasonably pleasant.
I may not have turned up the rare but there wasn't a complete absence of birds. A Whimbrel fed along the tideline as did several Knot including one in summer plumage. Common Whitethroats and Sedge Warblers sang from various perches north and south of the village; a single Lesser Whitethroat presumably a fresh arrival plied it's trade from an unlikely single bush by the 'huts'. Two Wheatears moved off the top of the dunes to watch me carefully past from a roadside Hawthorn and a Tree Sparrow popped up on a wall as I returned to the car.

Just up the road to High Hauxley a Barn Owl post hopped nonchalantly ignoring the car completely and only moving at the whirr of the shutter from the camera.


This is Hauxley so notice how everything is sporting bling.

Dropping back past Cresswell, there was little to hold me there long. A Little Ringed Plover at Lynemouth Flash was my first at this site, though the water is almost non-existant now and a White Wagtail provided the final morning 'find' before I headed home to start breakfast and the school run.

A stroll this afternoon with one of the twins still doing his time after vomiting yesterday ( a two day nursery ban) along a short stretch of one of the Wansbeck offshoots produced a fleeting Kingfisher disappearing off upriver as we arrived with all the stealth of an African Elephant. My first of this species this year despite many hours along suitable and former breeding sites.

No comments: