Thursday, 21 April 2011

Quasimodo

Just three moths in the trap this morning, in no small part due to the sea fret that penetrated far inland overnight, smacking down the temperatures. I pulled out two Hebrew Character and then I pulled out the ugliest moth I think I've ever seen. This thing wouldn't be out of place in a Dr Who Christmas Special, or at least on one of the old Tom Baker episodes. However beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what this particular hunchback has going for it is it's a bit rare up here in the northern wastelands; only five previous records and only recorded for the first time six years back in 2005. After photographing it this morning on a garden Hazel I left it in peace, it was still basking in its ugly rarity this afternoon as I did some pruning. So feast your eyes on the moth formerly known as Quasimodo but since the marketing people got a hold of it now called Tawny Pinion Lithophane semibrunnea.



No comments: