Sunday, 27 March 2011

The Only Singing Song Thrush in Newbiggin

After the pulsating excitement of Thursday evening's Egret dash, Friday was an early start to check out a few sites for Garganey. There was quite an arrival on Thursday further south so they were definitely on the radar. I checked two regular sites but without any success. Various text messages were winging my way as I wandered about and as I wasn't too far from Druridge Bay I headed down to check out the Little Ringed Plover at Cresswell. I called at Druridge Pools first; a pair of Pintail still present and a chat with Mike H and Adrian before moving on to Cresswell. To my shame I managed to flush the LRP onto the main pool as I tried to photograph it, despite being crouched and by the fence. Luckily I had more luck with the daylight hunting Barn Owl a little later.


 

As the post title implies I get all the news I need from the weather report, so a hint of an Easterly had me back out late afternoon for a couple of hours looking at the sea. At the 'patch' level it was well worth it with 4 Shoveler and a Great Crested Grebe both new for the patch this year. A diver at the outfall was interesting enough in a 'non-Red-throated' kind of way to prompt me to drive down to the Spital Burn for 'better views' by which time in fading light and with the bird now roosting I had to give it up. The journey wasn't wasted however as the sound of a patch tick hat trick met my ears with what must be the only singing Song Thrush in Newbiggin in willows around the small car park. I'd all but given up on Song Thrush until Autumn!
Saturday morning dawned with me back seawatching, a single Sandwich Tern north at 06:15 the sparkling highlight of an otherwise quiet-ish session.

1 comment:

birdingbeijing said...

Lovely image of the Barn Owl.. I've never managed one as remotely good in years of trying! Good to see Spring is arriving...