Sunday, 20 February 2011

If You're Going to Chipping Norton...

If you're going to Chipping Norton
Be sure to have a fiver in your hand
If you're going to Chipping Norton
You're sure to meet some dodgy birders there

All those who come to Chipping Norton
Sometimes will find a doves been there
In the streets of Chipping Norton
Dodgy birders with optics pointed there

With apologies to Scott Mckenzie, but after all the bother on Saturday and the 'should they, shouldn't they' for Sunday by the time I'd finished work my head was ringing with it. I took myself off far from the mad crowd and went and had a look at the sea. Breezy southeasterlies and some great big troughs in a significant swell. Whilst general numbers were low I'd hoped for maybe a Blue Fulmar but ended up with two Little Gulls and adult and 1st-winter in amongst a few Black-headed Gulls not far offshore. Part of a small movement over the day with some individuals turning up inland in Oxfordshire for example.
This morning Steve Holliday managed a Great Skua off Church Point mid-morning, his first February record and again an indication that there are one or two birds out there if you put a shift in. Best I could do today was 13 Fulmars and a Razorbill, hey ho. Still one 'Nordic' or Eastern if you prefer, Jackdaw west of Bothal Pond but only about 100 Jackdaws today.

2 comments:

Richard Dunn said...

I've tried hard to put them words to that song, oh dear, I won't be making the x factor finals singing that

alan tilmouth said...

Me neither, shame I'm quite struck on Cheryl.