Sunday, 5 December 2010

More Winter Birding

Water is the precious commodity for many birds right now, any patch of flowing water no matter how insignificant seems to have acquired temporary inhabitants. The free flowing stuff just north of Bothal that I first noticed last weekend held Redshank, Lapwing and best of all Grey Wagtail this morning as I passed coast bound.
Almost every field at the coast has its own flock of Pink-footed Geese, had I spent the morning counting I could easily have reached 2000; those that didn't invariably had small coveys of Grey Partidge instead.


 A Snow Bunting in with Skylarks and Twite at Bell's Dunes, more Woodcock and a dead Grey Heron at Woodhorn Flash. A puddle near the Drift Inn held two Snipe and a a steep path at Lyne Sands transformed into a small stream with run off offered alternative feeding for some Dunlin.


 

1 comment:

Birding about Northumberland said...

Cracking phot's Alan, I think there were a couple of Pink Footed Geese at St MaRY'S this afternoon, although with my ID skills I could be wrong, they look much like the ones in your photo but they were to far away for my camera.