Monday, 15 November 2010

Going Continental

Family matters and catching up on household jobs have restricted the birding a little this weekend. A couple of hours yesterday brought the long(ish) staying Slavonian Grebe at East Chevington, Merlin and a Kingfisher that flew south over the dunes but no sight nor sound of Northumberland's first Cetti's Warbler. Interesting that it appears to have been singing again today on a slightly less bright day than yesterday...go figure.
I checked a couple of places looking for divers of the non-Red-throated varieties but without success, a few Common Scoter showed well off Birling Carrs.
No birding today but a little time to read, I've been dipping in and out of the back identification sections of Martin Garner's 'Frontiers in Birding' trying hard to embed it all to memory. It's a cracking read with some really great advice from several top birders and well worth shelling out for if you're interested in finding and identifying birds. (Claim to fame alert) Whilst I'm not mentioned by name I somehow managed to creep in there, I am that 'breathy shout' on page 46. and that Little Bunting was my first ever BB rare.
I've also been deleting some of the deadwood from my image files, stuff that I thought was OK at the time but now just doesn't cut the mustard, not that many of mine do. Hanging these two separate threads together I started looking at the Cormorant images, more specifically looking to see whether I had inadvertently grabbed any sinensis or 'continental' race Cormorants. Hard to identify without a protractor as it's mostly in the gular angle. If I've got my maths right then unwittingly I have managed to photograph both carbo and sinensis.



Both above birds are carbo taken at Bothal Pond October 2010.



The second two images taken in Blyth South Harbour October 2009 are (neck firmly stuck out) of sinensis race Cormorants in my humble opinion. Note the gular angle, egg yolk orange colour of the gular patch and how the bottom corner of the gular patch is behind or at the back of the eye, all good features according to the Yorkshire guru.
Could be all bollocks of course I only managed a grade c maths O level and I haven't really had the protractor out, I couldn't find it.

No comments: