Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Robin Vocalisations

Whilst we were at St. Abbs on Sunday and trying to relocate the Barred Warbler we suddenly heard what sounded like a Swallow alarm call from within the same scrub. This call was repeated several times, after which a Robin was spotted atop a Hawthorn directly in front of us. I've never heard Robins emit this two note call before and I don't think either Stewart or the other birder present had either. Subsequent discussion has resulted in Stewart suggesting a young male 'learning' to sing. I was reminded of this today whilst hanging washing out in the garden as another strange call emanating from our shrubbery also morphed into a Robin. I've just gone through all the Robin calls in Xeno-Canto and there is no recording of this Swallow type call. Anyone else come across it?

2 comments:

Andrew Kinghorn said...

Hi Alan, have you listened to the calls of continental Robins? Forgive me if you know this: continental Robins have a different song and I would guess different calls. So perhaps the birds you are hearing are migrants from continantal europe?

alan tilmouth said...

I'll forgive you Andrew,that's why I went to Xeno-canto to check if it was an alarm call from Scandinavia or perhaps further east but drew a blank.