Wednesday, 8 September 2010

A Swift Three

With Ash working and the less than child friendly weather I managed three swift hours late afternoon early evening after everything had pretty much been cleaned up, booted, kicked and dissected. Aiming to find birds rather than chase after what had already been turned up can be tough when there are good birds on offer elsewhere.
My first site north of Newbiggin proved entirely fruitless apart from a couple of Meadow Pipit, so I headed for the golf course, accessing from the north and began to check the bushes at the north end of the dunes figuring most people concentrate on the south end. Two Common Redstart and a couple of Common Whitethroat later I moved down toward the Ash Lagoon Banks, more Redstart including a couple of males, Spotted Flycatcher and several Willow Warbler. Two Wheatear out on the golf course to the north and the sun was dropping.
I headed south to Woodhorn and managed a 1st-winter Pied Flycatcher along the railway line but again in poor light things were quiet. A quick look along the Spital Burn road turned up a little surprise with three Common Swift hawking over the allotments with a few Swallows. These are probably my latest ever Common Swift in Northumberland and possibly my first in September.

No comments: