Thursday, 16 September 2010

Old Haunts

After a brief bit of excitement yesterday with a quick twitch of the Cresswell juvenile White-winged Black Tern, this morning provided sustenance in the form of some Muffin baking sans enfants.
I had an hour spare after lunch at my parents before the first of  4 days work kicked in so I headed off to one of my childhood haunts at Blyth Links Cemetery. I spent many an hour wandering the area surrounding the cemetery as a kid from about the age of 11 and birds often figured in those adventures. Whether it be the nests of numerous Blackbirds and Song Thrush in the Ivy covered wall that borders the northern boundary or flocks of Redwing and Fieldfare in winter pillaging berries or the spring displays of the Lapwing wheeling in the adjacent fields this place held some of my formative birding experiences.
There are other connections hiding  there too; my great grandfather in the southwest corner along with several other family members; my grandfather's brother whose blackberry surrounded, pigeon cree dominated, allotment was often a destination for childhood walks. I remember the pigeon's eggs, white and the musty smell of the cree as I was allowed to gently hold and release one of his prize pigeons.
Today as I expected there was little of note however, 12 Mistle Thrush moved from berries to bathe as I wandered around, a single Goldfinch the only other sighting. 11 Grey Partridge kept to the field edge on the south side as I left.
A final stop at Woodhorn South Pool produced two Wheatears in the field, 35 Coot and two Mediterranean Gull on the pool. Migrant Hawkers dived and dodged behind the sheltered hedge with at least six present and probably more.

No comments: