Monday, 26 July 2010

Work over I headed for a short sea-watch, I may as well have not bothered, the most exciting action after an early flyby northbound Roseate Tern was a scruffy female-type Common Scoter with a broad orange centre to the upper mandible that momentarily raised hopes.

I resorted to some gull action on the beach at Newbiggin, With Med Gull numbers reaching dizzy heights (23 the best I've heard so far) and the first juvenile reported over the weekend there was sure to be lots of activity. I do like a juvenile Med Gull, I think they still carry novelty value up here in Northumberland where we have rarely had juveniles.
 

Sure enough two juveniles amongst 10 I counted tonight spread along the beach. Interesting to note that our arrivals fit in with some of the findings of studies using colour rings for example a study at Folkestone discovered the peak arrival time to be July 21st - August 15th. Given that my count was less than half the number counted over the weekend and included at least one new juvenile it set me wondering if some of the birds occurring at Newbiggin at the moment are 'staging' and will move on to winter elsewhere.




Time to get a brew, get on the slippers, break out the pipe and settle down for Podcast 2. Topics briefly covered include raptor persecution, the new government Natural Environment paper, dolphins and oil drilling in the Moray Firth and a request for sightings of Red-veined Darter as well as a fantastic recommended birding site.






Links mentioned in the Podcast

Jos Stratford
Mark Avery
John Armitage
WDCS

1 comment:

Newton Stringer said...

Cracking juv med... great birds !