Saturday, 3 July 2010

Swift Birding

Blog posts have been scarce this week, various deadlines such as Birds in Northumbria 2009, more work on entries for Essential NewcastleGateshead and three Birdguides shifts have put paid to most of my free time.
I nipped out for an hour late afternoon, down to Castle Island, though for the second time in a week failed to catch up with any Green Sandpiper only Common Sandpiper present which is a little surprising as at this time of year they normally hang around a little...
Still some Little Gull present, bumped into Alan Hart who had seen an adult this afternoon, I couldn't find that either. Tons of Common Swift easily 150+, amazed that this many doesn't pull in a Hobby. Watching them is easy, getting any sort of decent image, needs better technique and more patience than I' had today.



A Greenshank calling as it flew over Woodhorn Flash on its way south was my bonus bird for the afternoon. Might even set the moth trap tonight.

2 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

Yeah, I like this one.

Clare said...

Love that photo Alan.