Thursday, 24 June 2010

Staple Fare

Today was an odd day, something a little different. As I may have mentioned previously the local RSPB group kindly put a local artist in touch with me who is involved in a developing national arts project recording bird song and turning it into music. They don't have funding as yet so I have been helping them on an expenses only basis in identifying what they are recording and sorting out locations for them to test etc. Expenses today ran to a boat ticket and a bag of chips as we 'did the Farnes'.
We spent an hour in the morning on Staple Island and I managed to spend a few minutes capturing the locals, first time I've been out there with a camera. I found myself amused by the sight and sounds of the fresh faced young wardens explaining Puffin ecology to middle aged women who were looking like they just want to cook them a good meal.

I'm sure the near boat-full of female French sixth form students that we arrived with provided ample compensation judging by the grins on one or two faces. Nothing out of the ordinary on Staple today, Rock Pipit was the only passerine.



We made a few stops on the way back to record Willow Warbler, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting and Sedge Warbler and Barbara seemed to go home happy. Hopefully the project will get funding and some work might arise from today's efforts. There's worse ways to spend a day though.


No comments: