Sunday, 20 June 2010

Bonxie Bonanza


With winds running from the north and a bit of a swell on it was time for some seawatching over the weekend. Early evening Friday produced a burst of self-found year ticks with a single Great Skua north, a mid-distance 1st-summer Little Gull that couldn't make up its mind and went first north before drifting back south and (cough) Common Tern. I have seen Common Tern but at Whittle Dene and I knew they were there so it doesn't count as self-found and despite much checking of terns off Newbiggin I just hadn't connected with a dead cert.
Around seven I packed up to leave and the guy in the caravan behind the point stopped me and asked me if I'd seen anything interesting, just as I was about to open my mouth a dark phase Arctic Skua jogged over the point and away into the bay.
This morning various other committments meant an early start or no birding so by 06:25 I was back at Church Point. A quick look in the south bay produced 84 moulting Common Eider.
19 Manx Shearwater over two hours was a better return than Friday's seven and six Great Skua an improvement on the single. Two together and the one above close enough to have a pop with the camera. Joined by Tim Cleeves for the last hour conversation soon got in the way and a Red-throated Diver slipped by unseen by me, though 31 Common Scoter hung around a little longer.

No comments: