Friday, 4 June 2010

Agonopterix and the Silver-ground Carpet

Summer is here and the big kid is on holiday bringing back memories of sunny days and holiday morning cartoons that were different to the mundane run of the mill weekday cartoons and childrens TV. I'm sure those of of a certain age will recognise the nod to one of ny favourites in the title.
Northumberland is almost a desert amongst the birding oasis north and south. The last few days have brought some big birds such as Trumpeter Finch, Marmora's Warbler and several Iberian Chiffchaff. Team Mcelwee is crunching out scarce and rare on Unst like their yearly island week is about to end, with Black Stork and Iberian Chiffchaff so far who would bet against a big one for a hat trick.
And me? I managed to turn Yellow Wagtail from a year tick to a Self Found Year Tick tonight, nearly had me punching the air....

I have had slightly more success with the Moths, I relocated the trap last night and had a slightly better catch than I have been managing. We had a Common Swift that got away, a Brimstone sat externally for a couple of hours, and several new moths including Timothy Tortrix, Silver-ground Carpet and Common Wave. Roll on tonight. Must also drop in a word of praise for several people on the North East Moth Forum for helping with some of those more difficult ID's (at least they are for me at the moment).

0697 Agonopterix arenella



1955 Common Wave Cabera pusaria



0989 Timothy Tortrix Aphelia paleana


1727 Silver-ground Carpet Xanthorhoe montanata

No comments: