Friday, 7 May 2010

Summer Atlas(t)

A bit windy today but after a later start than planned, primarily the fault of paying too much attention to the car crash that doubles as British politics this morning, I headed up country for some Tetrad bashing.
As always great to be out and about but across three tetrads and four hours of surveying I managed a paltry 12, 21 & 22 species recorded. Of note was my first Spotted Flycatcher of the year, a pair of Stonechat in suitable breeding habitat were pleasing after such a hard winter and a family party of Crossbill entertained for a while. On the negative side the lack of numbers (I can only hope they were kept down by the wind) was a major disappointment. I was 45 minutes in to my first Tetrad before having a Meadow Pipit and not a single wader recorded. Last time I surveyed some of these tetrads there were Curlew, Snipe, Lapwing all breeding.

Common Crossbill (juvenile)

Common Crossbill (female)

Skylark

Northern Wheatear (male) on Burnt Heather

No comments: