Sunday, 16 May 2010

Spirit of John Noakes Lives On


I blame John Noakes, scratch that, I blame John Noakes and Peter Purvis, they share joint responsibility. As a child growing up when childrens TV was restricted to an hour and three quarters at teatime and Saturday morning and computers were something Dr Spock fiddled with on the deck of the Starship Enterprise, we made our own entertainment. Whether it be knives made from sharpened penny lolly sticks, used to dig out melting road tar or go karts cobbled together from old pushchair wheels and reclaimed wood what we did was fuelled and limited only by our imagination.
Last night was National Moth Night, across the UK thousands, hundreds, seven people were out trying their best to catch and identify moths. Despite my recent comments about not having the time to 'do moths' properly, last night found me in best British tradition sifting through the accumulated flotsam and jetsam of our garage. Piled high with the things that might one day find another use I managed to locate and bring together the following list of items:

x1 Ikea Storage Box Plastic
x1 Plastic Bowl
x1 Ceiling light fitting
x1 Pond Pump
x1 Old wire shopping basket

The result, with all the enthusiasm and sheer joy that was John Noakes trademark, my very own DIY moth trap, it may be a little more Heath than Robinson and it's effectiveness may be limited but made with my very own hands it will do.  Add to it the pheromone enhancing qualities of a dead barn Owl hanging from the Rowan outside the back door, as better half has banned the beetle laden corpse from the house (it's going to the Predatory Bird Monitoring Scheme next week) and I expected a big haul.



After a short wait of two hours and fifty five minutes we had our first moth, by that time (01:50) I was too knackered to try and ID it so trap was packed and stored till this morning when apart from a Cranefly my one and only, first ever self trapped moth was (drum roll)....


Scalloped Hazel Odontopera Bidentata

Earlier in the day a trip to some nearby woods produced a couple of Dipper, Grey Wagtail and a so far unidentified Fly species.


6 comments:

The Leicester Llama said...

You caught one more moth than I did in my garden, Alan - and I was using TWO 'proper' moth traps!!

National Moth Night is usually guaranteed to be cold, but this one was the worst ever.

Antique ART Garden said...

Too funny, all that work for a moth. I must be missing something...I try not to see them here, at least in my home. thanks for the post, Gina

Stewart said...

Well I never....

Stewart said...

The more I look at your trap I think you have something there. Maybe one or two more prototypes? Keep at it Alan, you might get hooked. Scalloped Hazel is a nice one...

alan tilmouth said...

Down Stew.

Canvas said...

These are some cool photo's really, thanks !