Monday, 17 May 2010

Flooers



Sunday morning I headed to higher ground intent on photographing Tree Pipits. Whilst I heard Tree Pipit I came back empty handed when it comes to images of that particular species. First bird as I walked out from the field edge shelter belt was another daylight hunting Barn Owl this one much later at 08:00, lack of food or feeding young? Lack of food would be strange considering the stories emanating from Kielder about vole populations and Tawny Owl this year.

I stumbled, literally, across three flowers that with my limited botanical experience and knowledge i haven't come across before. I have one identified, another tentatively and a third eluding me, so any help on number three feel free to throw my way.



First up (above) is Lousewort Pedicularis sylvatica this plant is surprisngly a partial parasite deriving some of its sustenance from the roots of surrounding plants via small white suckers.




I think this minute but stunningly vivid blue flower may be Heath Milkwort Polygala serpyllifolia though it is difficult to seperate from Common Milkwort. The lower leaves on this one look opposite as opposed to alternate to me so I'm hoping I have it right. Stunning blue whichever it is.



The identity of this one eludes me completely so any suggestions welcome.

Edit: Thanks to Nigel over at Abbey Meadows the third one has been identified as Field Woodrush Luzula campestris.

Nearby woodland produced Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Marsh Tit, the latter feeding along the ends of fern fronds presumably for inverts.



4 comments:

Bryan Rains said...

I'll take a wild stab at Cotton-grass in flower.

alan tilmouth said...

That might explain why it isnt in my Idiot's guide to Wildflowers!

abbey meadows said...

I think the plant is Field wood rush (Luzula campesdtris).

alan tilmouth said...

Cheers Nigel, much appreciated.