Saturday, 10 April 2010

The Sound of Spring

Chiffchaff may get here first but within a few days who doesn't wish for something more than those two notes? It's lookalike later arriving cousin the Willow Warbler always seems to put me in mind of lounging in the garden on a sleepy afternoon and dozing in the warmth serenaded by it's song as I descend along with it to sleep.
So the first one of the year always puts a smile on my face. This one was late morning at Ulgham Lane.

Willow Warbler

I'd started off at Bothal Pond, although NF beat me to it, though it was quiet. I aborted the plan to head for Linton after talking to Nigel as he had had only three Willow Warbler, so instead a good beat around Woodhorn produced a migrant flock of Meadow Pipit about twenty strong feeding in the rough grass. In fact apart from Mipits I had little else this morning, butterflies 2 & 3 for the year produced a brief splash of colour.

Meadow Pipits, Woodhorn & Pegswood


2 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

Wow, you have caught a glimpse of a Meadow Pipit, well done Alan.

Killy Birder said...

First Willow Warbler on patch was on 11th last year, so I'll be out listening tomorrow.
Nice shots.