Thursday, 22 April 2010

All Go

Last night's interview with Brazilian researcher Christine Bernardo who has spent the last four years monitoring Red-billed Curassow re-introductions on a reserve in Brazil went well and was incredibly interesting, although it did leave me feeling humbled by the dedication some are willing to give to the conservation of endangered species. Isolated and 6km from the nearest phone with only a bike for transport for four years is some effort in my book.
I stopped off at a couple of locations to listen for reeling Groppers singing Grasshopper Warbler on the way home but with no success. My first bat (sp) flew low over my head at Prestwick Carr but I had little else of note.
A pre-breakfast wander in the scrub belt north of the house sorted out the snatch of Sylvia song from the other morning as Blackcap with both male and female present.
Most bizarre sighting of the morning is two tail-less female Blackbird in the garden, we've had one half bald tail-less female for a week or so but now there is a second bird, again female lacking tail feathers, I haven't read anything yet but surely not moult, breeding stress perhaps?
The finishing touches to a quick, short piece on some topical birds done it has been sent, fingers crossed it gets used. Time to do so some more work on the Essential NewcastleGateshead guide app before another shift mid-afternoon.

1 comment:

Lee Dingain said...

Hi Alan, I've just stubbled across your blog post on the 10,000 Birds site about the Red-billed Curassow reintroduction programme at REGUA. I am the webmaster for the REGUA website and I'll make sure I put up a link to the post. Many thanks. Lee