Thursday, 18 March 2010

The Rough with the Smooth

After receiving some high quality information about a Rough-legged Buzzard watched at a site in the north of the county on Monday, Wednesday saw me set off with ADMc and the twins on the trail. Now normally I wouldn't inflict my kids on other birders as they tend to treat optics with irreverence and after spending an hour in the car they can be a little temperamental. However I thought that it might increase my chances of actually finding the beastie in question as either a) ADMc would get roped into a football match allowing me to bird in peace or b) roles reversed he would track the blighter down whilst I stopped the kids from doing any permanent damage to the local farm animals.
In the event we managed a good haul of Common Buzzard with probably 10-12 over the morning, six in the air a maximum at any one time. We had little else, a Sparrowhawk, small flock of Linnet and the odd Hare.
The twins behaved reasonably well although my heart was beating a little faster when one of them was wandering about watching the 'bordies' with ADMc's Ultravids, "I'm not insured for that" was all I kept thinking.
Whilst I normally bird alone, good company makes for an easy day even when the targets are scarce.

5 comments:

Stewart said...

That would be the Northumberland race of Rough leg Alan...invisible.

alan tilmouth said...

Not this time Stewart,info was from an observer with impeccable credentials otherwise I wouldnt have bothered.

Laura K said...

You have no idea what peace it brings me that I am not alone in this world at fearing my children's next wrong move whilst pressing on with my beloved hobby.

: )

Stewart said...

You still didnt see it though...

County Rough legs? Rare as rocky horse sh...but looky likeys all ower the shop! I'll wait for the photos before I eat humble pie.

ADMc went for one up near Bamburgh the other week and had the obligatory pale common buzzard...

They are the most mis identified Northumberland bird next to Black throated Diver ( oh and Honey Buzzard)...

alan tilmouth said...

Nope we didn't see it but I don't go along with the 'must have been a pale buzzard' as a result. Do we start doubting all single oberver records of rare county birds? I think your being over-cynical this time, as I said earlier impeccable credentials no reason for doubt.