Monday, 15 February 2010

The French Are Back

I'm not sure if they have arrived early this year but last year's copulating Frogs were not noted until 23rd Feb so the 10 that appeared in our garden pond late morning could well be eight days earlier than last year. With better light and sleeping children I'll try for some sharper shots in the next few days. Nine Brambling still in the garden including a male starting to look very black around the head and half yesterday's Waxwing returned to Ashington although not at the same time as us.

Common Frog

Common Frog

4 comments:

Stewart said...

Its not early Alan. I always use Valentines day as the frog timer. Often they are in the ponds by the first week of Feb in mild years. I used to go on Frog and toad road crossing patrol on the first rainy night in Feb when I lived in Stobswood. The routine was to park on the road side then watch from the dry car for a hapless amphib to start to cross. Lift him into a bucket and return to the car. This was done until the bucket was full then I would release them in the field off road in the direction they were heading...

alan tilmouth said...

I wasn't generalising just commenting on my own little corner of the frog kingdom ;)

Mark Fellowes said...

Nice frog shots, but more jealous of your bramblings - in spite of looking in the usual locations around here I haven't seen one for two winters. Pop one in a box and mail it down if you get a moment!

Tim Sexton said...

Pegswood frogs must be tougher than the ones in Whitley Bay. Here they wait til March.