Sunday, 24 January 2010

Winter of Discontent

Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road." - Voltaire

Despite the drizzle I managed a couple of hours this morning, several year ticks with Red-throated Diver, Guillemot, Common Scoter & Shag added to the self-found list. Seeking shelter I nipped up to the Budge screen where a pristine male Pintail and a single Black-tailed Godwit were snatched from self found by the enthusiasm of Ian Douglas telling me what he'd found. Can't blame Ian, he was being sociable and helpful but an appeal if you see me don't tell me what you've seen unless a) I'm about to leave and miss it or b) it's too good to keep your gob shut.
An unusually dapper looking ADMc was kerb crawling at Bell's Farm picking up passerines, next time I'll get a picture of his Ralph Lauren Windcheater, maybe I'm missing something, are Surfbirds running a 'Best Dressed Birder List'?

Finally a get well message for the Boulmer Birder who has been having a hard time lately, I just wanted to let him know that he is a drama queen and a big girl's blouse I hope he recovers real soon and we all know how difficult it is getting back to full health once your well into middle age.

2 comments:

Stewart said...

I'm making it a mission to sit next to you during the seawatching season this year. And I'll be watching ever so slightly south ...SOOTY! MANX! BONXIE! :)

Anonymous said...

quite the gentleman is he
the man who quoteth Voltaire,
whose reason makes right

lmk