Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Smell The Roses

With the snow thawing, we're back in a familiar routine the first few days of the week with eldest at school and at least some time each day in the kitchen and in front of the sink. Mine is not the only garden that is revealing a bounty of food for avian visitors that has been locked between layers of snow. How many of you knew Bullfinches like Roses? Allegedly I ate the whole tin myself although as I pointed out we have spent more time indoors lately as a result of the cold. A garden record five Bullfinch today to match the five Yellowhammer we have been entertaining.





I can't not get excited about Brambling though, we have three birds now, two male and a female including a ringed bird. A proper winter visitor and just smart whichever angle they're viewed from, hopefully these three will hang around for a while longer, at least till the light improves so I can get some decent images.



The Self Found 2010 List has stalled slightly with work and routine but a pair of Red-legged Partridge between home and the A1 today were a welcome addition. Talking to ADMc a few days ago and he has decided to "give me some competition" (his words) with his own self found list. Given his track record I'm on a hiding to nothing and already trailing by about 20, however I'll keep you updated as to his progress as well as mine as we go if I can prize the info out of him.


3 comments:

Stewart said...

You need to get a series of photos of the Bramblings legs and try to read the ring details. I've known people read Siskin rings in the field...

Ipin said...

grrrr all I get is blimmin jackdaws, spuggies and the odd blackbird! I was chuffed to bits with last weeks song thrush, I be creaming it if a bullfinch happened upon my plot!

forestal said...

glad the snow is thawing for you . Love the pictures

dan