Friday, 29 January 2010

Morning Mince Trip

With snow showers forecast at the coast and petrol prices going through the roof I didn't stray too far this morning. We needed some mince for tonight's Spag Bol so I combined that with a trip to Wallington Hall as there is a Farm Shop in the car park. As has been the case all month since the cold spell, some passerines are hard to come by I couldn't find any Treecreeper or Wren at all nor did I have a single Dunnock up there today. The small feeding station had food but apart from single visits by Nuthatch and Great Spotted Woodpecker and the odd Brambling it wasn't too exciting. Sadly at this time of year even when the sun does shine it is so low in the sky that it struggles to penetrate the surrounding woodland, not so good for the camera. A group of Siskin as I walked back to the East Garden brought the year list to 100. A Common Buzzard soaring to the south attracted a huge corvid following many of whom were not thrilled at sharing their airspace.

Coal Tit, Wallington Hall
Some tree fungi added a little interest, I think the main pale brown one here is Velvet Shank Flammulina velutipes and the other might be Jelly Ear Auricularia auricula but feel free to offer alternatives if you think differently as my fungus knowledge needs a little work.



Just as I crossed the road I caught sight of a single Red Squirrel that dropped from the moss covered wall and scampered off ahead of me. A quiet return later produced better views and better light. Charismatic as ever, I think it's the 'Vulcan' ears that get me every time.


Red Squirrel, Wallington Hall

2 comments:

Razboynik said...

Love the Red Squirrel, and those ears lol.

The Liverbirder said...

Alan - your blog is becoming so detailed, to add the style of how you walk whilst birding is yet another enhancement!!! Mincing!! How very dare you!!