Monday, 17 August 2009

Sunday Morning at Castle Island

Another early foray but with a very brisk westerly there was not much point in looking for passerines or seabirds so I headed down to Castle Island to look for waders. Photo opportunities are limited to record shots due to the distance from bank to island. In fact the only decent image I managed was this Song Thrush and that was on a neighbour's lawn when I arrived back.


A few waders were around including a spanking Grey Plover, not a patch tick but very uncommon. I caught brief views of a tern that looked suspiciously like a juvenile Black Tern as it flew upriver, unfortunately it didn't come back down. Three Ruff, single Green Sandpiper and three Common Sandpiper were amongst lots of Redshank.
145 Mallard was a good count for the site, there were also several Teal present.
After bumping into Steve Holliday, Dee Mckeown and Phil Allott I trudged off to the estuary where a single Sanderling and two Goosander vied for the bird of the hour award.
A dead Tawny Owl on the A189 east of QE2 will be despatched to the Predatory Bird Monitoring Scheme once their box arrives.
A walk down the track at Warkworth Lane produced little of note except a single Northern Wheatear.




This plant which I thought was a Dock was in flower along the footpath nr Castle Island, its not in my field guide though so any help with ID appreciated.

1 comment:

Dean said...

Looks like Bistort to me, Alan. Although i`ve never seen one so intensely coloured.