Friday, 28 August 2009

Pause.

Internet connection surprisingly isn't on the list of amenities our chosen holiday residence offers. You would think they could afford wifi at hundreds of quid per week. When I enquired about it as an afterthought and then asked about local wifi hotspots, clearly stating I meant the world wide web just in case 'wifi' means something else in Welsh, a message arrived back several hours later telling me there was one twenty minutes up the road at a Little Chef. So that's a forty minute round trip to sit in a Welsh Little Chef drinking bad tea and smelling overcooked bacon.
Enjoy this post then as it looks like it's my last for a week. Savour the visual delight of the three Arctic Skua I watched late afternoon as they harassed and darted at a single unfortunate Tern far out above the white topped scudding waves of the North Sea as they are the final bird I can offer this summer. When I return Autumn will be five days old, the landscape will have changed, every bush may hold the big one (ever the optimist).
It's a family holiday although the wife is already complaining about the full compliment of optical & photographic equipment being polished ahead of loading the car, "We're going on holiday not bloody filming in the Serengeti" as she put it.
I may manage the odd few minutes of snatched birding here and there, after all the house that we can call home for a week is only fifty feet from the high tide mark looking out into the Irish Sea. Checking up on Birdguides today they had a Sabine's Gull, a couple of Balearic Shearwaters and a few thousand Manxies just 30 miles north. I must be able to pick a few up from the beach on 60x even with a glass of Sauvignon in hand.
Secretly I have a target list, it only has three species on it but nonetheless its a list. One visit to Anglesey should see me get them all, Chough, Black Guillemot & Cetti's Warbler. Cetti's would be a UK tick for me and I only found out there was a few pairs breeding on Anglesey when I was browsing Lee Evans Ultimate Site Guide, which is paying for itself already.
So I shall leave all you listers salivating at the prospect of poring over my 'Birds Seen On A Non Birding Family Holiday To Wales List' when I get back. Looking at the area and the records over previous Augusts there's a smattering of Melodious Warbler, a few Long-tailed Skua and Stormies, just north is Black Rock Sands with Ring-billed Gull five years ago and Caspian Tern there in 2001. So till next week, ma s yn gobeithio pawb 'r awelon ydy chan 'r gorllewin.

1 comment:

Dean said...

Have a good one, Alan, and hope you get your 3 target species.