Saturday, 15 August 2009

Over Dun?

When I bought the camera I had dreams of cripplingly detailed images, pats on the back and worldwide acclaim (or at least Alnwick & Hexham). I kind of forgot about the birds and their tendency to be elusively mobile at just the right moments.
The last few weeks have given me a much greater appreciation of the effort that is constantly needed to get great shots of which I may have have managed one so far from 4000 and it was a fluke. I'm also looking more closely at other people's images, the composition, the sharpness, reading comments on the post processing.

It's no coincidence that both the Common Crossbill image I hit lucky with a couple of weeks back and the Dunlin I came across at Newbiggin the other morning are likely to be species that have had limited human contact. This particular Dunlin was, well confiding doesn't do it justice, it was up close and personal, in fact at one point I thought it might 'do a phalarope' and walk over my feet. So I make no apologies for posting eleven images of the same bird, meet Cal my new best friend.









8 comments:

James said...

One for next year's calendar perhaps?

Dean said...

Don`t knock yourself, Alan. There`s nowt wrong with them shots. Exellent stuff.

Stewart said...

Very nice shots Alan.

Newton Stringer said...

Great dunlin shots and loved your pics of crosser too !

Alan Tilmouth said...

Cheers lads, just right place right time with a super confiding bird.

neil said...

Great photos

Ipin said...

Cracking piccies Alan!

Brian R. said...

Nowt wrong with those, i too have experienced the same feelings when i first started using the same kit, but its just a case of getting to know what you can do with it.

Just keep taking the shots and soon your hit rate will get better. Then try macro on a windy day to really drive you round the twist.