Monday, 13 July 2009

Monday's Mystery Moths

I've tried, god knows I have not to have to include the word 'mystery' in this post but despite several nights of flicking through the NE moth site I can't seem to put a name to these two darlings. Could the first be a faded Hebrew Character? The second was on higher ground at Colt Crag Reservoir. I await the wisdom of those that know and promise faithfully to fall to the ground averting my eyes at the mention of the holy word MACRO.


Edit, the consensus is that Moth 1 is Double Dart & Moth 2 Dark Arches. Thankyou, Ian, Dean & Stewart.

4 comments:

Dean said...

The first one is a bit worn, as you say, but it looks like a Heart & Dart.
The 2nd one is definately a Dark Arches.

Alan Tilmouth said...

The first one seems a little controversial Ive had an email suggesting it's Double Dart, any further comments welcome.

Dean said...

Having looked at it again in the light of day. I tend to agree.

Stewart said...

Bottom is deffo Dark Arches....Dean is a bit of a moth expert Alan, though you could try Steve Gale for confirmation...