Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Hide & Seek

As I said in the earlier post today I haven't been very far, so a game of hide & seek in the garden with the dynamic duo brought some welcome fresh air. Even my garden tick butterfly joined in with the game leading me a merry dance as I tried to get a decent image. Partly my own fault for leaving a central stand of Buddliea tall this year as a more visible attraction. It's a Small Copper, first in the garden that i have seen in 12 years here.

Small Copper.
Then I got adventurous, a rather large fly around one of the flowering shrubs looked a good bet. To be honest the photo was the easy bit. Does anyone know how many Fly Species there are? Searching for an ID is a minefield so make the most of it as I'm not sure I can cope with anymore. Not even sure that the ID is right so if anybody can offer any help feel free.
Sarcophaga (Flesh Flies, one of the genus).
Edit 26/07 : With thanks to Dean via comments the fly is now labelled correctly to genus although not to species.
Next one a little easier and posing nicely, a Hoverfly.

Helophilus spendulus
And even easier, lots of Buff-tailed Bumblebees about.

Buff-tailed Bumblebee.
Later on a patch of bare ground which it had to defend vigorously from a Red Admiral, this Painted Lady stood out against the dry soil. Looking spanking this must surely be locally bred rather than a migrant.

1 comment:

Dean said...

Hi Alan. Im pretty certain your Graphomyia is a Flesh Fly (Sarcophaga carnaria).

BTW : never seen a Small Copper nectaring on Buddleia before.