Sunday, 7 June 2009

Tales From The Rumbling Tarmac.

I've never been unemployed, don't read anything into that, I don't mean to be holier than thou, I have known plenty layabout good for nothing unemployed birders and I wont have a word said against them.
To ensure I continue with my uninterrupted employed status I have acquired a Sunday Job. It's only four hours and only till September but it comes with a 'benefits' package.
Benefit 1 It's outdoors, my first outdoor job since 1982 when I could be found delivering the News Post Leader (local SE Northumberland free rag)
Benefit 2 It has habitat (see photo 2 below) a little mixed woodland, some bramble scrub, a few roadside wildflowers, there's even some fresh water to the left of the road.



Benefit 3 There's lots of downtime between customers when I can do a little birding, check out the verges etc.

It's only 50m from where I found a juvenile Citrine Wagtail in 2005 so perhaps as the year progresses into Autumn I might turn up something good.

My first day today, I stepped from the car to be greeted by a singing Sedge Warbler. As the afternoon progressed I picked off a host of common birds Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Linnet, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Woodpigeon, Swallow, House Martin, Swift, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Pied Wagtail.

I even managed two flyover Red Breasted Merganser presumably moving from the Aln at Foxton onto the sea (that's the blue stuff under the sky in the last picture, look closely and you can see Coquet Island).


Maybe I should change the blog name to something that reflects my new found Sunday afternoon mini patch, 'Tales From The Rumbling Tarmac' has a certain ring about it and not easily copied. Or maybe I should go with the crowds how about 'Tarmac Birder'?


Finally I leave you with the news that tonight a short trip to the car to collect the camera produced my first garden Pipistrelle of the year hawking over the front garden.

3 comments:

Northumbrian Birding said...

If it's a Sunday job you could be missing your Sunday lunch so it could be "Tales from a Rumbling Tum" or if you had a bad pint or a fierce curry it could be "Tales from a Rumbling ***" etc:, I remember that Citrine Wagtail, nice bird thanks for sharing.
Brian

Stewart said...

Now now lads, don't take my name in vain!...

Alan Tilmouth said...

Ah imitation is the sincerest form of flattery though.