Monday, 29 June 2009

Mystery Moth Monday.

OK before we start let me tell you what this isn't. This isn't a competition, there are no prizes. This is not an ego trip where I display my new suddenly acquired Moth ID skills discussing the finer points of leg colour and the shaggy bit on the nape (Do Moths have napes?).
This is sheer, nay pure, almost the essence of laziness where I, man with blog, get you knowledgeable Moth Men & Women to save me hours of clicking on photographs of each one of the many thousands of moth species living here on our doorsteps, often in our homes by identifying these no doubt common as muck, ten a penny Moths. Let me give you a little background as I know this can often provide a crucial clue in clinching the right ID, at least it can with birds so please tell me it is the same with lepiwotsit.
Moths 1 and 2 were pictured on various items of garden furniture, we live in lowland Northumberland about 100m above sea level, my garden has above average levels of weeds.
Moth 3 entered my property through an air vent uninvited. Moth 4 was found in rough grassland with poor soil and a few wildflowers. No moths were injured in the process of putting this post together. Please note that should any of these Moths turn out to be a First for the Western Palearctic this post will be removed in it's entirety and all rewards claimed by and paid to the author. Now that we're clear on the ground rules, enlighten me please.












2 comments:

Dean said...

In order of appearance, Alan ;

Light Arches
Mottled Beauty
Barred Straw
Shaded Broad-bar

ps : no firsts for the WP there. All common as muck.

Alan Tilmouth said...

Cheers Dean, thought it might be you or Stewart that came to my rescue.