Tuesday, 30 June 2009

Back In A Flash

No sooner have we had Spring and some of the buggers are starting the return journey. It's clear from today's Bird North East update that return wader passage is already well underway. An early-ish visit to Longhirst Flash this morning turned up single Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper & Greenshank. They may have been there for a few days as ADMc had also had the same line up two days ago. I could only see the Greenshank reported on Birdguides yesterday but it's easy to miss the sandpipers as the Wood Sand seems to get in amongst the reeds out of view and whilst I was there the Green Sand disappeared into a mud lined tractor rut. Grey Heron and Northern Shoveler were also present at this small mining subsidence pond that seems to punch above its size when it comes to pulling in the birds.


Longhirst Flash (looking East toward sea fret)
With little time left I headed back to Woodhorn Pond to have another go at some Damselflies. I entertained myself with some low flying Common Swift and this is about the best I could manage. They were coming in to drink at the pond but could I hell get a decent shot at them, they always seemed to drop in from a point I wasn't covering. Does that look like a brood patch to anyone?



Common Swift, Woodhorn Pond.
Some slightly better images of Common Blue Damselfly today as there was probably half a dozen about. Also had more time to catch the Emerald Damselflies with 3-4 flying although not landing for long.

Common Blue Damselfly, Woodhorn.


Emerald Damselfly, Woodhorn.
One from the house last night as my run of never before seen Moth species carries on unabated. There are so many new species turning up I'm beginning to wonder if someone's releasing them near the garden trying to catch me out. I think this one is Magpie Moth although the markings must vary from moth to moth in this species as I couldn't find an exact match. Pretty little thing though.


Edit: Thanks to Dean at Mostly Macro for correcting the name which is Small Magpie.



1 comment:

Dean said...

Hi, Alan. I think it`s great when folk try to id something for themselves. It shows at least they`re trying.
You`ve got part of the name right. It is in fact a Small Magpie. Hard to believe, but this one is classed as a micro ( of the Pyralid group ).