Friday, 15 May 2009

Newbiggin Ticks

Well the 'Amazing Fall Conditions' as some online birders were calling it has been a bit of a mixed bag so far. Numbers of migrants appear low up here so it certainly doesn't acquire 'Fall' status in my book. There are glimmers of quality about, Icterine warbler and another Red-throated pipit on the Farnes.
Further South however the vista was not quite so rosy tonight. The rain ending at teatime spurred me to a wet underfoot wander around Newbiggin Mound and along the Ash Lagoon bank. Heading down into Newbiggin a small dark shape caught me eye and I turned the car around and parked. Sure enough down past the old Hunter's Lodge I had my 'big tick' of the day JG Steele, Jimmy to the locals. We exchanged numbers and information, Garden Warblers, a hint of something peculiar by the dog kennels that might have just been a Whitethroat or might not and a pale Willow Warbler in a ditch on the Golf Course.
I wandered down, less enthusiastic as JGS tends not to miss much. One hour twenty minutes later I returned wet, two Garden Warbler, one female Blackcap and a brood of Stonechat all I had to show for the big Spring Fall. Ah well, there's always tomorrow.

No comments: