Sunday, 8 February 2009

Brrrr....

I need to have a few words with myself. Out before eight this morning to Newbiggin just in case that Kumlien's was parading itself blatantly off Church Point I suddenly clocked the temp on the car, -3C, brass. Thirty minutes seawatching and looking forlornly at the couple of dozen Herring Gull loafing around the bay was enough. Not a sniff, although had I done my research I would have saved myself a journey as it appears it flew into roost on the Ash Lagoons late afternoon yesterday and it was SMc who had it initially (flying over Woodhorn) before refinding it with JGS.
Two year ticks in the form of Fulmar and Guillemot, and two Red-throated Diver were the bare facts of my seawatch. Four adult Med Gull chased waves on the Newbiggin beach, another flock of gulls were at the southern end of the bay but by that time I was losing the will.
More gulls at QE2 and Linton Roundabout were duly sifted with nothing remotely of interest.
A short detour via Ulgham Lane produced five Tree Sparrow to maintain my list momentum and I managed to add Nigel Foggo to my birders seen in 2009 list which is shorter than my species list (it is possible to have less, honest guv).
I suppose as I managed to speak to SMc later in the morning I can include him too on a 'heard but not seen basis'?

No comments: