Saturday, 3 January 2009

Thrush Twice and an Odd Pecker.

A later start meant leaving the house in daylight and a Mistle Thrush was an unexpected spectator sat low on a metal railing at the top of our street. Like buses I picked up a second one in flight, heading west near Wooden later in the journey.
Just passing the Cheviot food factory in Amble and I noted the characteristic undulating flight of a Great Spotted Woodpecker flying north into Amble alongside the A1068. Sure enough it crossed in front of me and landed in a mature tree on the left. Urban Amble not high on my list of where to see GSW's, just shows the comments in Birds in Northumbria 2007 "almost any woodland..."
Cheviot and Hedgehope looked invitingly white this morning in the early sunshine, I'll look forward to pictures elsewhere no doubt over the weekend.

No comments: